As it becomes increasingly easy to cut the cord from the major cable providers, satellite and streaming services are offering more new shows, premium movies, package rate incentives and discounts – including military discounts.
Here’s what you need to know to access it.
Does DirecTV Offer a Military Discount?
Yes and no – DirecTV’s military discount is a little complicated because the company owns two separate products.
DirecTV began as a satellite television provider in 1994. It became a part of AT&T in 2015, expanding to host a streaming platform in 2020.
In 2021, AT&T announced it would spin off its DirecTV, U-Verse and AT&T TV products into a separate company, selling 30% of the new venture to a Texas-based private equity firm while retaining a 70% stake. Since then, the DirecTV has consolidated its offerings into two products: DirecTV satellite television and a separate online streaming service, DirecTV Stream.
Does DirecTV Stream Have A Military Discount?
While it’s possible to get an introductory military discount on DirecTV satellite packages, DirecTV Stream does not yet have a military discount program.
However, it’s in the works, according to DirecTV spokesperson Nicholas Ammazzalorso, so stay tuned. We’ll publish the details as soon as they’re available.
Save More on Streaming!
Best Streaming Services for Military Members, Discounts and More
AT&T DirecTV Military Discount
AT&T offers a couple of DirecTV military discount options for its satellite television service.
- AT&T Subscriber Discount: Military members and veterans with an AT&T wireless plan can get $15 off DirecTV packages, on top of a 25% military discount on all wireless plans.
- Veterans Advantage Discount: Veterans Advantage members who sign a 24-month contract can pay $54.99 per month for their 12 months of DirecTV’s Entertainment satellite package (normally $74.99 per month). You’ll also receive a free additional year of Veterans Advantage’s VetRewards membership.
Additionally, AT&T DirecTV waives its $20 per month early termination fee for military members under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.
AT&T DirecTV Military Discount Eligibility
Active-duty, National Guard and reserve service members, veterans and military spouses who wish to take advantage of AT&T’s DirecTV discount through its wireless bundling discount can verify their military status on the carrier’s website. Once verified, contact AT&T to apply its wireless service and DirecTV military discounts.
Veterans Advantage’s DirecTV discount is available to VetRewards subscribers, including active-duty, National Guard and reserve service members, veterans, military spouses, parents siblings and children.
Note: VetRewards plans cost $9.99 per month or $59.95 per year. If you only used VetRewards for DirecTV, the monthly fee will cancel out half of your DirecTV military discount.
Additional DirecTV Discounts
DirecTV Stream provides a $10 per month student discount for the first 10 months of service, according to its website. However, you can’t stack a military discount on top of a student discount.
More Ways to Save on Your Monthly DirecTV Bill
DirecTV has several subscription package levels, including AT&T bundling options, which consolidate your phone, internet and DirecTV subscription into a single bill.
Ask about all your savings options before you purchase a DirecTV plan.
Other Subscriptions That Offer Military Discounts
Several other television and streaming options provide discounts for military members:
- AppleTV: Military members and veterans who verify with ID.me can get 10% off their AppleTV subscription.
- Discovery+: Military members and veterans get 40% off a Discovery + subscription, knocking the price down from $4.99 to $2.99 a month.
- Disney+: offers a 25% discount on annual subscriptions through the Exchange.
- Hulu: Military members and veterans who sign up through their military base exchange can get a free month of Hulu, plus a 10% military discount for the rest of the year.
- DishTV: DirecTV’s most direct competitor, Dish Network offers veterans and active-duty military members several freebies, including the Stars & Stripes package, (usually $10 per month), one free pay-per-view movie rental each month and a free voice remote.